Lifestyle, Nutrition

Healthier Pumpkin Spice

pumpkin-lady

By: Aria Gray MPH: Maternal and Child Health candidate 2017

It’s officially Fall! Soon everything you see on menus and in stores will be pumpkin spice. I always get tempted when see a large display of pumpkin spice foods in Trader Joes or smell someone else’s Pumpkin Spice Latte in Starbucks, but whenever I break down and get something for myself I almost immediately regret it because almost all pumpkin spice foods and drinks are too sweet. Also, many of the pumpkin spice foods starting to show up on shelves don’t even contain real pumpkin, which are good for you!

Here are some healthy recipes to celebrate the start of Fall, but with less sugar, more creativity, and more pumpkin!

Pumpkin Pie Protein Smoothie – Nutritionist in the Kitch

Pumpkin & Sage Savory Muffins – Love Food Eat

Crock Pot Turkey White Bean Pumpkin Chili – SkinnyTaste

Pumpkin Pancakes – Cookie & Kate

Roasted Pumpkin Seeds – The Kitchn

Miso Pumpkin Soup – The Kitchn

• clueckin

Thank you for sharing some healthier alternatives for pumpkin. You hit the nail on the head in that pumpkin can be a halo food, which means it is perceived as healthy no matter what form in comes in. As you acknowledge, pumpkin has many health benefits, but those are minimized when we only eat them in cookies, pies, or artificially flavored forms. Finally the time of year to enjoy some real pumpkin!

• shaunala

I've near heard of halo foods. What an appropriate term. Thanks for the great recipes Aria!